Behavioral Health care does not need to be a challenge your hospital staff has to face alone. Our TelePsychiatry service is here to help.
TelePsychiatry, a service of Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H) Connected Care, can improve access by offering prompt 24/7/365 psychiatric consultations in the acute care setting. In the Emergency Department or inpatient setting, TelePsychiatry enables assessment and triage by behavioral health specialists at locations that do not have in-person coverage.
Patients are evaluated, managed and treated in real-time collaboration with the local providers. Studies have provided evidence that TelePsychiatry assessments are reliable and provide at least equal quality of care to in-person care. The On-Demand TelePsychaitry program will respond to calls within two hours of initiating the consult, to start treatment faster for patients.
“Telemedicine in psychiatry, using video conferencing, is a validated and effective practice of medicine that increases access to care. The American Psychiatric Association supports the use of telemedicine as a legitimate component of a mental health delivery system to the extent that its use is in the best interest of the patient and is in compliance with the APA policies on medical ethics and confidentiality.”
Examples for patient’s diagnosis
- Anxiety, depression, PTSD
- Psychiatric medication management
- Suicidal ideation/attempt and risk assessment
- Capacity evaluation
- Bipolar affective disorder
- Substance Abuse Issue
- Mood disorders, schizophrenia
- Overdose and substance abuse
- Violent or threatening behavior
- Change in mental status
- Medication recommendations
Patient, families, providers, and staff
- Delivers prompt involvement of a board-certified psychiatrist for a wide variety of behavioral health presentations
- Provides evaluation, recommendations, and assistance
- Supports clinical decision-making
- Reduces professional isolation
- Increases patient satisfaction by increasing likelihood of staying close to home
- Supports local staff retention and recruitment and improved staff satisfaction
- Provide credentialing and privileging services
- Assign a program manager & implementation coordinator to set up the services
- Provide IT support with setting up equipment and have a 24/7 IT Line for urgent issues
- Provide educational offerings
Financial and quality impact
Our TelePsychiatry service for hospitals yields a number of benefits that include:
- Decongested ED: increased capacity resulting from greater throughput
- Assistance with medication management or disposition execution to improve throughput and accuracy
- Decreased average length of stay
- Reduced ED boarding for psychiatric diagnoses
- Reductions in average time to triage and time to see a behavioral health professional
- Decrease in behavioral health patients leaving the ED without being seen
- Increased revenue opportunities arising from expanding patient care
- Low-cost coverage for hospitals with limited or no crisis/psychiatrist access
- Increased satisfaction of your clinical staff AND all patients
For more information on the TeleNeurology Program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock please contact:
- Katelyn A. Darling
- Program Manager Connected Care
- Phone: (603) 650-1317
- Fax: (603) 727-7462
For clinical questions regarding the TelePsychiatry Program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock please contact our Clinical Director:
- Keri Height, Ph.D.
- TelePsychiatry Clinical Director
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
- Clinical Director
- Hanover Psychiatry
- Christine Finn, MD
- TelePsychiatry Medical Director
- Vice Chairman of Education
- Director, Psychiatry Residency Training Program
- Director, Crises and Consultation Service
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Mailing Address
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- One Medical Center Drive
- Lebanon, NH 03756
Frequently asked questions
Yes, any site with TelePsychiatry has 24/7/365 call coverage for an On Demand TelePsychiatry consult.
Your site will not need to do anything. Our IT Telehealth team has secured all the connectivity to the cart. When it is time for the consult, the psychiatrist will call the cart automatically to be connected. Our IT Telehealth team is also on call 24/7 in case of any technical issues.
Yes, a consult note will be faxed to the site fax number provided at intake within 60 minutes of the consult.
Please note, the TelePsychiatrist will call and speak to the onsite provider directly following the consult to discuss recommendations, etc.
On Demand is 24/7 Board Certified Psychiatrist coverage for patients who present with emergent conditions that should not wait for a scheduled consult.
Consult & Liaison are Board Certified Psychiatrists providing scheduled consults for all non-emergent psychiatric conditions. This can also be utilized for admitted patients who need observation while awaiting placement.
On average, we can launch a D-H TelePsychiatry service within two months. The implementation timeline may vary, depending in large part on the local hospital’s credentialing schedule and timeline.