Behavioral Health care does not need to be a challenge your hospital staff has to face alone. Our TelePsychiatry service is here to help.
TelePsychiatry, a service of Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H) Connected Care, can improve access to Board Certified psychiatrists who provide prompt 24/7/365 psychiatric consultations in the acute care setting. In the Emergency Dept or inpatient unit, TelePsychiatry enables psychiatrist assessment and triage to hospitals that do not have in-person physician coverage.
Patients are evaluated, managed and treated in real-time collaboration with the local providers. The On-Demand TelePsychiatry program will respond to calls within two hours of initiating the consult, to start treatment faster for patients.
“Telemedicine in psychiatry, using video conferencing, is a validated and effective practice of medicine that increases access to care. The American Psychiatric Association supports the use of telemedicine as a legitimate component of a mental health delivery system to the extent that its use is in the best interest of the patient and is in compliance with the APA policies on medical ethics and confidentiality.”
Common reasons for consultation
- Anxiety, depression, PTSD
- Psychiatric medication management
- Suicidal ideation/attempt and risk assessment
- Capacity evaluation
- Bipolar affective disorder
- Substance Abuse Issue
- Mood disorders, schizophrenia
- Overdose and substance abuse
- Violent or threatening behavior
- Change in mental status
- Medication recommendations
D-H program supports
In addition to providing clinical care for patients requiring emergency psychiatric care, the D-H TelePsychiatry team provides the following services:
- Support and coordination for credentialing/privileging.
- Program Implementation - an experienced and multi-disciplinary team comprising a project manager, clinicians, and technical professionals delivers a wide range of services throughout the planning and implementation process; A collaborative project plan, developed after contract signing, specifies responsibilities and timing for each implementation task.
- Program Training - clinical training is delivered to your staff to assure confidence in the TelePsychiatry service and the partnership between Dartmouth-Hitchcock and your hospital.
- IT support, including assistance with network configuration and equipment set-up and ongoing 24/7 support for technical issues.
- Educational offerings for hospital staff.
Financial and quality impact
Our TelePsychiatry services yield a number of benefits, which may include:
- Decongested ED: increased capacity resulting from greater throughput
- Assistance with medication management or disposition execution to improve throughput and accuracy
- Decreased average length of stay
- Reduced ED boarding for psychiatric diagnoses
- Reductions in average time to triage and time to see a behavioral health professional
- Decrease in behavioral health patients leaving the ED without being seen
- Increased revenue opportunities arising from expanding patient care
- Low-cost coverage for hospitals with limited or no crisis/psychiatrist access
- Increased satisfaction of your clinical staff AND all patients
For more information on the TelePsychiatry Program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock please contact:
- Katelyn A. Darling
- Program Manager Connected Care
- Phone: (603) 650-1317
- Fax: (603) 727-7462
For clinical questions regarding the TelePsychiatry Program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock please contact our Clinical Director:
- Keri Height, Ph.D.
- TelePsychiatry Clinical Director
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
- Clinical Director
- Hanover Psychiatry
- Christine Finn, MD
- TelePsychiatry Medical Director
- Vice Chairman of Education
- Director, Psychiatry Residency Training Program
- Director, Crises and Consultation Service
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Mailing Address
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- One Medical Center Drive
- Lebanon, NH 03756
Frequently asked questions
Yes, any site with TelePsychiatry has 24/7/365 call coverage for an On Demand TelePsychiatry consult.
Yes, a consult note will be faxed to the site fax number provided at intake within 60 minutes of the consult.
Please note, the TelePsychiatrist will call and speak to the onsite provider directly following the consult to discuss recommendations, etc.
On Demand is 24/7 Board Certified Psychiatrist coverage for patients who present with emergent conditions that should not wait for a scheduled consult.
Consult & Liaison are Board Certified Psychiatrists providing scheduled consults for all non-emergent psychiatric conditions. Usually, the patient has been admitted for other medical conditions and has a condition that requires a psychiatric consult.
On average, we can launch a D-H TelePsychiatry service within two months. The implementation timeline may vary, depending in large part on the local hospital’s credentialing schedule and timeline.