Step 3: Assessment
This is less necessary if an area of focus has been identified; however, even if a high quality decision aid has been identified for use, being able to objectively demonstrate that both clinicians and patients perceive a need can be invaluable.
In addition to ascertaining the needs of your target population, doing a needs assessment is an effective buy-in tool for each group interviewed. The process makes each person consulted a partner in the project.
- Needs Assessment Procedure (PDF)
- Population Needs Assessment Workbook (PDF)
- Patient Needs Assessment (PDF)
- Practitioner Needs Assessment (PDF)
- Sample Primary Care Needs Assessment documents:
- Practitioner Needs Assessment
- Nurse Needs Assessment
- Administrative Staff NA
- Patient NA
- Decision Support Toolkit for Primary Care
- Decision Support Toolkit For Specialty Care
- Decision Support as a Clinical Skill Toolkit
- For Patients