The American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider Course is designed to provide a wide variety of healthcare professionals with the ability to recognize several life-threatening emergencies, provide CPR, use an AED, and relieve choking in a safe, timely and effective manner. The course may be utilized by certified or non-certified, licensed or non-licensed healthcare professionals. There are two options for completing the course:
- BLS – Instructor-Led Training – 4 hour course
- The BLS Instructor-led course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both prehospital and in-facility environments, with a focus on High-Quality CPR and team dynamics.
- Heartcode BLS
- HeartCode BLS is the AHA’s BLS blended learning delivery method. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning, in which a student completes part of the course online in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on session.
- Hands-on sessions are offered in two formats:
- Completing with Voice Assisted Manikin: We are happy to offer you use of our voice assisted manikins (VAMs) to complete your BLS Parts 2 & 3 training. These computer-driven manikins are available 24/7 in the lobby of the Patient Safety and Training Center, with no appointment necessary. The Center is located on the 2nd Floor of the Faulkner Building (past 2M). Full directions for the use of the manikins are in the PSTC lobby. (DH computer log-in credentials are needed in order to use the Voice Assisted Manikins). To use the VAMs, upon completing your Part 1 select the “Self-Guided Hands On Session” option within your Healthstream account. This will give you access to the VAM.
- Completing with an instructor: After completing the online portion (Part 1) if you are going to be performing your skills assessment with an instructor, please print out your certificate, you will need to present this to your instructor for your skills test. To schedule an instructor assessment please call us at 603-653-1776. There is limited scheduling available for this option.
Heartsaver First Aid, CPR/AED
The AHA's Heartsaver First Aid, CPR, and AED courses are for workplace or community training. First Aid courses are designed to meet OSHA requirements. Heartsaver courses are taught independently by AHA instructors affiliated with DHMC. Please contact us so that we may assist in connecting you with Heartsaver instructors.