The Cytopathology service at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) provides a full range of cellular pathology tests.
Some of the tests we provide include:
- Pap tests and non-gynecological specimens including exfoliative cytology specimens (e.g. fluids, brushings, urine, CSF, etc.)
- Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) service including cytopathologist-performed FNA on palpable nodules. The Diagnostic Imaging Services, Ultrasound Service (including the Endocrine Thyroid Nodule Clinic), Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Services, and the Pulmonary Endoscopic Bronchial Ultrasound Services are supported by the FNA service.
- Endoscopic and/or radiological derived aspirations and skinny needle core biopsies through on-site collection of specimens, including smearing and touch imprint preparation and specimen triage (following acquisition of specimen) and rendering an immediate assessment of specimen adequacy and/or diagnosis, using telepathology in most cases.
The diversity of pathology seen at DHMC requires the use of cell blocks, special stains, immunohistochemistry, flow cytometry, cytogenetics, and molecular testing. In addition to rendering a diagnosis, cases may also be evaluated for prognosis and treatment selection.
Our Cytopathology team
Our team comprises four board-certified cytopathologists, a cytopathology supervisor, four cytotechnologists, two preparatory technicians, and one cytopathology fellow. We are committed to providing the highest quality of patient care and advancing translational and clinical research.
Areas of Focus
- Bone and soft tissue pathology
- Head and neck pathology
I've always wanted to help care for patients. Working as a pathologist allows me to do work that involves two of my interests: doing research at the cell and molecular level, and helping p…
Areas of Focus
- Fine needle aspiration cytology
- Gastrointestinal pathology
- Subspecialty Consultative Services
- Surgical Pathology
- Laboratory Medicine
- Medical Education
- Our Teams
- Contact Us